The year Lhardy opened there were water carriers on the streets and zarzuela music had just been born.
With the decoration of its beautiful facade defined by the taste of the Second Empire, Lhardy has preserved the courtly and aristocratic atmosphere of the 20th century Madrid and the best formulas of the European cuisine.
Lhardy opened its doors in 1839 in the same house for the Carrera de San Jerónimo, when Madrid was Court of the Queen Regent. Much of the history of Spain took place between the elegance of its walls, under their label lamps, and around their tablecloths. This unchanging environment has seen the overthrow of kings and politicians, republics, introduction of new dynasties, restorations, regencies and dictatorships. As Azorín said: “we can’t imagine Madrid without Lhardy“.
Rafael Guerrero, father of actress María Guerrero, was the decorator and he set the new face of Lhardy in 1880. The taste of the Second Empire is outlined in the design of the facade of Lhardy, built with mahogany from Cuba as a symbol of those who were our overseas provinces.
When Emilio Lhardy died, the dynasty continued with her son Augustine, very prominent painter and engraver, who knew how to combine his artistic activity and social life with the constant improvement of his business. The sculptor Benlliure spent some time living in Lhardy and invited personalities from politics, aristocracy, journalism and art. Among Lhardy eaters, who keeps more secrets in the history of Spain is the Japanese room, where all sorts of conspiracies and cabals were developed.